Now, I know that everybody likes to think that their grandpa is the best, but honestly people, my grandpa is up on that list for sure.
My Grandpa is possibly one of the funniest people I know. He has a mass of jokes that he tells over and over again, and the funny thing is, I never actually laugh at the jokes themselves, but I always laugh at him, as his eyes start to tear up, his face gets red, and you can tell that he is absolutely one of the most joy-filled people to walk this earth.
My Grandpa is also one of the smartest men I know. My sophomore year of high school I had to build a miniature roller coaster for my science class. Honestly, I absolutely hated it. There were so many things that had to be screwed in just so, and angles that had to be just right, and wood that had to be cut perfectly...and being the impatient person that I am, I would have had a lot of trouble with it. Fortunately, my Grandpa is all about that stuff, and regardless of the fact that he was having a lot of health issues which made him not as "on top of his game" as he usually is, he worked on my roller coaster project with me from start to finish, always knowing how to do this or that to make it run better, and always, always exhibiting so much patience.
There are so many things that describe my Grandpa. He is so loving, courageous, trustworthy, wise and so, so kind.
I think the world of him, and so last night at dinner I asked him what was one piece of advice he would give after living 74 years, he, true to fashion, kindly gave me three things that all work together, and they describe this man's life perfectly.
He said,
"Always talk to the Lord, just keep talking to Him about everything, big and small. And be in His word, that's how He talks to us, and be thankful for every little thing that He does in your life. Your relationship with Him is the most important thing."
Guys, I love my Grandpa because he is such a good example of what it means to absolutely be in love with Jesus.
Throughout my 19 years of living, I have seen that my Grandpa's life has always been about his relationship with the Lord. Whether that was in his relationships with others, the way he spent his time, or the way he handled situations, he always has done it for the glory of God, and for the sake of their relationship.
So, today I want to encourage you to make the Lord a priority. Talk to Him about every little thing, and be thankful for every little thing. And maybe, when you're 74, you'll be able to give the same advice to the next generation of "young'uns" and they'll be able to see the way you loved Jesus, just like I can see it in my Grandpa.
So, those are my thoughts of the day.
Happy birthday to my Grandpa, and happy hump day to the rest of you!

No comments:
Post a Comment